Call for project – Invitation for Expression of Interest
Announcement No. 1, Date
Tehran Transport and Traffic Organization (TTTO) on behalf of Tehran Municipality envisages bidding the construction, operation and maintenance of the bike-sharing-system at Tehran central districts (Project), based on a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) contractual and concession framework, with a view to promote quality and efficiency of the short trips and the last-mile trips within city downtown area, to reduce air pollution from privately owned vehicles traffic, to encourage short trip cycling, and to increase the sustainable share of biking within all transportation modes, with the following conditions for participants of the EOI:
- The contract includes construction period, plus additional five years of operation and maintenance of Tehran bike sharing system.
- The geographical scope (battery limit) of the project is located in the central regions of Tehran (districts 6, 7, 11, and 12) covering an approximate area of 35 square kilometers. The exact boundary of the project is determined based on system requirements such as OD studies of short trips and public transit hubs within the boundaries of the project.
- The estimated number of bicycles is 15,250 devices within 5 years under an agreement for deployment plan, all of which are city, multi-gear bikes.
- Based on the Bicycle Master Plan of Tehran, estimated 152,500 daily trips are expected in 5th year of operation of the system with a planned annual increase from current level (near to null) at the first year (after installation period).
- TTTO's approach to the project is providing non-financial support to the Investor. Submission of investment plans for funding of the project is encouraged.
- Type of the system and its technical details (such as kiosk-rack system, GPS-tracked system or else) is open for proposals by participants of EOI. TTTO declares its final decision as a detailed RFP, after reviewing all submitted EOI proposals.
- The required infrastructure for city cycling such as cycle safe paths are designed in Tehran bicycle master plan and is delivered in the detailed RFPs.
All participants must have internationally long-term experiences regarding the bike-sharing system proportionate with conditions of the project.
The whole process shall be concluded until December 2017. The detailed procedure description will be provided on the website of TTTO;
About Tehran cycling master plan
inja agar matn bashe behtare, inja agar matn bashe behtare, inja agar matn bashe behtare inja agar matn bashe behtare inja agar matn bashe behtare inja agar matn bashe behtare inja agar matn bashe behtare
1.1 - Cause and Problem Description
Tehran air pollution is the cause of more than 5000 mortalities per year. Besides, morbidity and health are relevant issues puts pressure on the health care system. The main cause of Tehran air quality problem is mobile source emission including all motorized fossil fuel transportation. As such, several measures have been taken by Tehran Municipality to reduce the air pollution generated by transportation sector. Those include, but not limited to, rapid growth of underground metro system, diesel particulate filter retrofit program, incentives for electrification, and introduction of the first Tehran low emission zone. Among all, increasing the share of cycling is one of the main target of Tehran municipality to reduce the share of motorized transportation, especially for short trips and last-mile trips within city center boundaries.
During Summer 2017, deputy transportation of Tehran municipality, have conducted two international workshops with the help and support of professional international organizations with relevant experiences to make the first Tehran cycling master plan framework. The workshop lasted for 7 days with more than 40 participants from Iran and Netherland and concluded with production of a document which was used as the framework to develop the main criteria for increasing the share of cycling in the city of Tehran. Such plan, highlighted the need for a bike sharing system in Tehran downtown area. The summary of Tehran cycling master plan is presented here.
1.2- Iranian and Tehran Context
Few decades ago, in many cities of Iran, bicycle was a main mode of transportation. Bicycle diminished from Iranian people’s life with fast changes in their life style. Simultaneously using personal cars became more popular.
Tehran is the biggest city of Iran with population about 8.7 million and 3 million family lives in Tehran. Large amount of daily travel in Tehran, leaded to growth of transportation system. Personal cars have the greatest share of transportation mode in Tehran.
Traffic and pollution due to using personal cars, cause different social, economic and environmental issues.
Although, Bicycle is a new solution for short and medium distance travels in Tehran, there are some important problems for developing bicycle riding in Tehran.
The purpose of Tehran Bicycle master plan, is to overcome the problems and develop the bicycle riding in Tehran.
1.3- Figures and facts on modes of transportation and air quality in Tehran
Tehran air pollution is becoming a crisis especially in the cold seasons. As shown below, only 5 percent of days in a year, the air is clear and good for breathing and in 29 percent of days, the weather is unhealthy.
Figure 1- Tehran air quality Index 2016-2017
As it can be seen in the table, high percentage of pollutants is due to mobile sources (motorized vehicles).
Table 1- share of different source of pollutants in tehran air quality
So, for improving the Tehran air quality, Providing an alternative for transportation in the city is a vital need. Using bicycle is an acceptable and experienced alternative for cars and motorcycles for short and medium distance travels.
1.4- Detailed problem analysis
Different issues are caused by motorized transportation vehicles and infrastructures in Tehran. The share of different modes of transportation has been shown in the figure (2).
Figure 2- share of different modes of transportation in urban travels
In the following table, some reasons that encourage people for using cars in Tehran are mentioned.
Figure 3- number of daily urban travel (in milion)
The purpose of Tehran bicycle master plan is decreasing/removing improper effects of cars on social, environmental and economic dimensions in Tehran. For overcoming on these problems, a comprehensive plan is needed to be provided, involving stakeholders and related city managers.
Another purpose of Tehran bicycle master plan, is removing obstacles in developing bicycle riding in Tehran. These obstacles categorized in 3 different groups.
Hardware: safe and convenient infrastructures are not provided for bicycle in the city. Bike routes have not network performance because they are apart. There are few parking for bicycles in Tehran and traffic lights are designed just for cars.
Software: bicycle is not a relevant vehicle in Tehran streets and is forgotten. Bicycle is transportation vehicle for low income people and modern life style is a great obstacle that should be tackled.
Orgware: coordination between related organizations is important. Implementing a technical and coherent plan is possible only with commitment of all related organizations. Clear and supporting rules are needed for developing bicycle riding in Tehran.
The main goal of bicycle master plan Tehran, is providing proper conditions for bicycle riders in the city and promoting the use of bicycle as a mode of transportation. In this regard, this goal should be in the same direction with other transportation and air quality policies of Tehran municipality.
2.1- Municipality policy on mobility and air quality
Policies and indexes in 5 year plan, provided by municipality of Tehran are mentioned in the following table.
2.2- Aims of bicycle master plan Tehran
- Increasing safety for bicycles in urban routes
- Increasing accessibility to important work and residential areas
- Developing an integrated bicycle mode with other green modes and public transportation
- Providing a connected and reliable network for bicycle in Tehran
- Development of coordination between foundations & policies of transportation
- Increasing the facilities and encouragement for promoting bicycle
- Promoting bicycle life style citizen
2.3- Feasible and measurable quantitative results
In a 5 year period, the share of using bicycle should be 1.5% of total urban travels. Details are mentioned in the table below.
Proposed length of bicycle routes in central district in Tehran are mentioned in the table below.
*these numbers need new revision
In regard to reach mentioned goals, a package of coherent strategies needs to be determined.
3.1- Overall Strategy
Overall strategy for sustainable transportation is:
- Using public transportation for long distance urban travels
- Using active transportation (biking and walking) for short distance travels.
Strategy for promoting use of bike for urban travel in Tehran is:
- Bike sharing system for central districts (6, 7, 11, 12) for last mile of travel
- Using personal bicycles in non-central districts for first mile of travel and near metro stations.
Figure 4- overall strategy for promoting use of bike in urban travel